Of the 500,000 hectares of irrigated land in Queensland, about 30 per cent is supplied water by SunWater’s eight channel irrigation schemes.
The schemes range in size from the largest around the Burdekin, of approximately 45,000 hectares, to the smallest scheme around Theodore of about 3,000 hectares.
Scheme irrigation facilitates a broad range of crops and produce including sugar cane, cotton, pasture, cereals, tomatoes, rockmelons, watermelons, capsicum, chillies, zucchini, beans, peanuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, citrus, mangoes, grapes, cassava, avocados and sandalwood.
The schemes are the:
- Bundaberg Distribution System
- Burdekin-Haughton Distribution System
- Emerald Distribution System
- Eton Distribution System
- Lower Mary Distribution System
- Mareeba-Dimbulah Distribution System
- St George Distribution System
- Theodore Distribution System